December 28, 2021

My first "TETEO"


You may have never heard of the word 'Teteo', unless you are Dominican.  A teteo in its most basic meaning, is a party. The word became popular around people during the Quarantine 2020 because what was usually called a teteo was done illegally, not following the Government's COVID-19 restrictions. Of course, the one I attended to was completely legal, but I did want to share the experience. 

When I was 11 years old, I went to my first teteo with my father in Santiago. It was in an open place and there was a lot of food, deserts, juices and soda. There was loud music and people sitting on different tables that were apart one from each other. To be honest, I was feeling nervous as it was my first party. The people that were there had their masks on and they only took their masks out when they were going to eat or drink.


It was nice to see people having fun and sharing after a while. This party made me remember how things used to be before the Covid came here. I danced and had fun, listened to good music and enjoyed time with my dad. I felt lucky to enjoy this moment in Santiago. It was great!

if you are ever invited to a Teteo, make sure you chose wisely. Some people's teteos break the law and the most basic safety protocols. Most people in them do not wear masks or maintain social distance. That is the reason why, the more illegal teteos we have, the more people put themselves and their families at risk to get sick from Coronavirus or any of its other variants. The more people get sick, the longer we will have to continue wearing masks. 

Having fun is great, but being reckless and impatient, and not respecting the safety protocols just because you are tired, is selfish. If people are more aware of the parties they go to, and more mindful about their actions, we just might be able to continue enjoying ourselves, without the need to put ourselves and our families at risk.

Carlos Graveley
6th Grader



No comments:

Post a Comment